Syngenta Championing Research and Development
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
We are increasingly faced with emerging challenges in the world:
- By 2050 four billion people will live in countries with water scarcity.
- Every day, the world’s population increases by 200,000 people, and we need to produce more food in the next 50 years than in the past 10,000.
- Soil erosion and urbanization are reducing available farmland. Every second we lose an area about the size of a soccer field. We have to produce more food from less land. And consumers are also demanding that food be grown in a sustainable way.
- Every hectare of land already under cultivation needs to produce to its fullest potential and protect the planet’s biodiversity while delivering profitable returns for farmers.
Syngenta is contributing to dealing with these challenges through:
- Continued Innovation in Crop Protection e.g. – new modes of action to combat resistance, further advances in seed treatment for environmental benefits and convenience – further advances in formulation science can help set even higher standards of performance and safety
- HSE – Safety for our people, good working environment per Syngenta Global standards
- Development of new and improved high-quality crop varieties with higher yields stacked with existing and improved input traits
- Sustainability – the Good Growth Plan
One of the key ways to deal with the emerging challenges of food security and lack of technology in agriculture is research and development. Syngenta has thus invested heavily in R&D to continue bringing innovative solutions in agriculture to the world.
The new R&D Site
In 2017, Syngenta invested more than USD 5 million to develop a modern Research and Development (R&D) complex consisting of laboratories, greenhouses, cold stores and processing lines for the multiplication of high quality cereal and vegetables seeds.
This new site becomes the latest addition to Syngenta’s global research network, and seeds produced here will be exported to serve farmers in Kenya and across the world. Syngenta has been working globally, in Africa and the Middle East for over half a century in more than 50 countries, and has a good understanding of the critical role agriculture plays in economic, environmental and social development across this diverse region.
Our ambition is to support the inclusion of farmers into viable value chains to increase their productivity so that they produce more of what local and global markets want. We strive to transform farmer yields at scale, in a way that creates sustainable value - motivated by the belief that successful farmers grow surpluses for sale, generate income, provide quality food and build vibrant communities.
As a global agricultural innovation company, our core strength lies in our technologies, which boost farm productivity and food quality. With capable teams across the territory, we strive to deliver crop solutions into farmers’ hands through an extensive distribution system. Farmers – large and small – have improved their yields through access to quality seed, crop protection and improved know-how.
In markets where agricultural potential is far from optimized, we help create the framework needed for farmers to access quality inputs, gain good agronomic knowledge and access output markets
Syngenta is therefore using technology to address the growing challenges of agriculture in Africa. The company is committed to contributing towards transformation of agriculture through well-thought innovations with the aim of increasing food security and environmental sustainability.
How to find the station
The below link shows a detailed map of the directions to the Syngenta R&D Site
What you will find at the station
The Research and Development (R&D) complex consists of laboratories, greenhouses, cold stores and processing lines for the multiplication of high quality cereal and vegetables seeds.
Acknowledgements and dedications: